Gen0313_The Serpent beguiled me, and I did eat2.jpg
The Fall of Mankind

In our first story we learned about a beautiful angel called Lucifer. Lucifer challenged God that His law was too strict and that no one was able to keep it. So when God made this world a simple test was made up to see if the people God created would follow God's rules or would follow Lucifer in rebelion of God.

In the very middle of the garden home which the Lord made for Adam and his wife were two trees. One was called "the tree of life" that produced twelve different fruits, one for each month of the year. The eating of this fruit enabled someone to live forever. The other tree was called "the tree of knowledge of good and evil." God told Adam not to eat the fruit of this tree or he would die. This was something new to Adam for death was unknown upon this earth at that time. All Adam knew was that it would mean an end, and end to everything that he now had. Although Lucifer was allowed to tempt Adam and his wife to eat the fruit of this tree and disobey God, he was only allowed to do this from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. This was the simple test that God made to see if man would be obedient.

Adam and his wife were not idle in the garden. They had to tend to the garden and nurture it. God warned them that Lucifer would try to deceive them, and that they should always stay together so that they would not be tricked.

But, one day the woman wondered off by herself. She found herself by the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and instead of fleeing from it she stayed there admiring the tree. A serpent was in this tree. This serpent was not like the ones we have today, but had wings, legs and was of golden colour which glistened in the sunlight. Lucifer spoke through the serpent and said to the woman, "Has not God said, you can eat of every tree in the garden?"

The woman curious that a serpent was speaking to her, replied, "God told us we can eat of every tree except this one, the tree of knowledge of good and evil. He said, 'We may not eat of it, or even touch it or we will die.'"

The serpent then said, "You will not die. God knows that if you eat of this tree your eyes will be opened and you will be as gods, knowing good and evil."

The woman wanted to be wise, and the fruit did look good. So she took some of the fruit, and ate it. It was good and she wasn't dead. Maybe the serpent was right after all. So she took some of the fruit to Adam, who also ate it.

But all was not well. Both Adam and his wife wore no clothes, but were coved with a robe of light, and until now not ashamed. Now they felt strange and naked. The robe of light that had covered them was gone. They sewed fig leaves together and made up clothes for themselves.

In the cool of the evening God came to talk with Adam and his wife as he usually did. Only this time it was different. Adam and his wife were hiding from God. God called, and called for them saying "Where art thou?" Finally Adam answered, "I heard you calling, and I was afraid because I was naked and I hid."

God asked how he knew that he was naked, and if he had eaten of the forbidden tree. God knew Adam and his wife had eaten of the forbidden tree, for God knows everything that everyone does, but he wanted Adam to admit it.

Adam, instead of being honest and admitting he had done wrong, tried to blame God and his wife saying, "The woman that You gave me, she gave me the fruit and I ate it." God turned to the woman asking why she did this. She also tried to shift the blame from herself by saying that the serpent tricked her.

God, cursing the serpent for his part in this deception, told him that he would now crawl upon his belly and eat the dust of the earth. The woman was told that there would be dislike between her descendants and the descendants of the serpent, that she would have much pain bringing forth children, and that one of her descendants would destroy the one who spoke through the serpent. Because Adam also ate the fruit the ground was cursed. It would not produce fruit as easily as it did before and there would be thorns and thistles. All his life Adam would have to work hard to live from the land, until he died and returned to the dust of the earth from which he was made. Adam then called his wife Eve, because she was the mother of all living.

God then made clothes for Adam and Eve out of animal skins and sent them out of the garden so that they could not eat of the fruit of the tree of life and live forever. He placed angels with flaming swords at the entrance of the garden so that they could never return.

Oh, sad, sad day. All because Adam and Eve did one simple little thing that God told them not to do, sickness, sorrow, suffering, and death, as well as thorns and thistles came to this world. Now instead of following God's laws man would more easily follow Lucifer's or Satan's laws. This world became a show case for all the heavens to watch and see who was really right in heaven, God or Satan? Whose rule was really the best?

Fortunately for us this is not the end of the story, but only the beginning.

BIBLE - WEB, KJV, ASV(Quiz), NIV,
개역한글KHRV( 120일1독, 1년1독, 권별, 성경통독 )

STUDY - 구절(WESLEY), 단락(MATTHEW), 테마별,
Dictionary - Chapter, OT구약, NT신약, 읽기(Wayne), 소요리, 대요리 문답, 신앙고백WCF

성경연대표 1.창조 2.족장 3.출애굽 4.광야 5.정복 6.사사 7.통일왕국 8.분열왕국 9.포로 10.포로귀환 11.중간 12.예수 13.초대교회 14.세계선교